What is a public member?
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a defined certificant population, serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program.
"The public member’s role is to champion the public or consumer interest, bring new ideas and goals to the table, contribute an unbiased perspective, encourage consumer-oriented positions, and bring additional public accountability and responsiveness. The public member should have a track record of advocacy on behalf of the public interest, a basic understanding of certification and accreditation, and previous experience serving on the governing or advisory board of a business, religious or civic organization, or similar entity". -Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
Public Member Networking
The Public Member Work Group is hosting a conference call to launch a public member network within ICE!
July 10, 2020 3:00 pm EST
To register for this event, email your name, organization, and role to email@example.com. Upon confirmation of your role and membership status, ICE will send you information on how to join the conversation with the relevant action briefs.This is a complimentary, member-only benefit.
Join us for this year's ICE Exchange in Miami Beach, November 8 - November 11, 2020!
Complimentary Registration Offer for Public Members
Public members (the consumers and end-users served by your profession) play a critical role in serving on certification governing boards. If the President/CEO of a certification organization signs up for a full-conference registration, ICE will offer one (1) complimentary registration to the organization’s public member.
“The ICE Exchange is a great opportunity for public members to sharpen their skills and network with certification colleagues,” -Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
“Our public members have found participation in the ICE Exchange to be a valuable experience for them because of the educational sessions and the opportunity to network with other public members.” -Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
Keep Your Public Member Connected
Public Members can receive member benefits. Check to see if your public member is connected to the credentialing community.
*For assistance adding a public member to your profile, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Member Resources
- NCCA Standards
- Understanding the Role and Richness of the Public Member
- Message from the Chair: The Benefits of Public Members. By: Claudia Zacharias, MBA, CAE | Sep '16
- Millennials Having Fun and Making a Difference as Public Members. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Jan '19
- Public Member Spotlight: Thomas Hartsell, Jr., Public Member on the board of the Art Therapy Credentials Board, Inc. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Nov '18
- ‘The Most Fulfilling Volunteer Role’: An Interview with Public Member Gloria Fabrey. By: ICE Editor | Oct '18
- Public Member Spotlight: Edward Susank, National Board of Certification & Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Sep '18
Public Member Committee
Public Member Resource Development Working Group
To offer public members an opportunity to network and collaborate on needed resources to support their role in credentialing organizations.
- Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Mark Bertler, CAE, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center
- Beverly Black, MHSA, CAE, National Commission on Credentialing for Physician Assistants
- Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Catherine Dower, JD
- Cheryl Scheck, PNP, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- David Swankin, JD, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators