What is a public member?
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a defined certificant population, serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program.
"The public member’s role is to champion the public or consumer interest, bring new ideas and goals to the table, contribute an unbiased perspective, encourage consumer-oriented positions, and bring additional public accountability and responsiveness. The public member should have a track record of advocacy on behalf of the public interest, a basic understanding of certification and accreditation, and previous experience serving on the governing or advisory board of a business, religious or civic organization, or similar entity". -Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
Public Member Networking
ICE Public Member Network
The public member working group hosts quarterly networking calls for public members.
Public members from several ICE member boards of directors have begun meeting periodically and want other ICE public members to know they are welcome to participate. We invite public members and other interested parties to join our quarterly Public Member Network Zoom Meeting on June 11, 2021. The hour-long meeting begins at 3:00 pm ET / 12:00 noon PT.
For those interested in attending this call, please send an email with your name and organization to email@example.com. This is a complimentary, member-only benefit.
Keep Your Public Member Connected
Public Members can receive member benefits. Check to see if your public member is connected to the credentialing community.
*For assistance adding a public member to your profile, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Member Resources
- NCCA Standards
- Understanding the Role and Richness of the Public Member
- Message from the Chair: The Benefits of Public Members. By: Claudia Zacharias, MBA, CAE | Sep '16
- Millennials Having Fun and Making a Difference as Public Members. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Jan '19
- Public Member Spotlight: Thomas Hartsell, Jr., Public Member on the board of the Art Therapy Credentials Board, Inc. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Nov '18
- ‘The Most Fulfilling Volunteer Role’: An Interview with Public Member Gloria Fabrey. By: ICE Editor | Oct '18
- Public Member Spotlight: Edward Susank, National Board of Certification & Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Sep '18
Public Member Committee
Public Member Resource Development Working Group
To offer public members an opportunity to network and collaborate on needed resources to support their role in credentialing organizations.
- Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Mark Bertler, CAE, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center
- Beverly Black, MHSA, CAE, National Commission on Credentialing for Physician Assistants
- Catherine Dower, JD, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Sally A. Irvin, JD, MEd, MA, Competency & Credentialing Institute
- Cheryl Scheck, PNP, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- David Swankin, JD, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
- Glenna Tinney, National Board for Respiratory Care