What is a Public Member?
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a defined certificant population, serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program.
"The public member’s role is to champion the public or consumer interest, bring new ideas and goals to the table, contribute an unbiased perspective, encourage consumer-oriented positions, and bring additional public accountability and responsiveness. The public member should have a track record of advocacy on behalf of the public interest, a basic understanding of certification and accreditation, and previous experience serving on the governing or advisory board of a business, religious or civic organization, or similar entity".
-Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizen Advocacy Center
2021 I.C.E. Exchange
Join us for this year's ICE Exchange in Nashville, TN, November 15 - November 18, 2021!
Complimentary Registration Offer for Public Members
Public members play a critical role on certification governing boards. If the President/CEO of a certification organization signs up for a full conference registration, I.C.E. will offer one (1) complimentary registration to the organization’s public member.
Public members have several opportunities to gather as a group at the I.C.E. Exchange to share experiences and ideas, and to suggest topics they would like to see addressed at the next year’s Exchange.
I.C.E. Public Member Network Quarterly Meetings
The Public Member Committee hosts quarterly networking calls for public members and other interested parties.
Public members from several I.C.E. member boards of directors have begun meeting periodically and want other I.C.E. public members to know they are welcome to participate. We invite public members and other interested parties to join our next quarterly Public Member Network Zoom Meeting on September 10, 2021. The hour-long meeting begins at 3:00 pm ET / 12:00 noon PT. Future calls are scheduled for:
If you are interested in attending a call, please send an email with your name and organization to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for and About Public Members
Resources for Public Members and Organization Leadership
I.C.E. Public Member Resources
Additional Member Resources
I.C.E. Member CEOs: Keep Your Public Member Connected
Public Members can receive member benefits. Check to see if your public member is connected to the credentialing community.
Search for your Public Member
*For assistance adding a public member to your organization's profile, contact the Public Member staff liaison at email@example.com.
Public Member Committee
The Public Member Committee of I.C.E. is designed to offer public members an opportunity to network and collaborate, and to develop and share resources that support public members’ role in credentialing organizations. The Committee meets monthly via Zoom and convenes quarterly Zoom meetings for the I.C.E. Public Member Network. The Committee also oversees the development of proposals for sessions at the ICE Exchange on topics of interest to public members and the entire I.C.E. community.
- Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizen Advocacy Center
- Devante Newsome, Membership & Operations Associate, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Mark Bertler, CAE, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center
- Beverly Black, MHSA, CAE, National Commission on Credentialing for Physician Assistants
- Catherine Dower, JD, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Sally A. Irvin, JD, MEd, MA, Competency & Credentialing Institute
- Cheryl Scheck, PMP, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- David Swankin, JD, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, Certification Board for Diabetes Care and Education
- Glenna Tinney, MSW, ACSW, DCSW, Captain, United States Navy (Ret.) National Board for Respiratory Care
Search for Committees