What is a Public Member?
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a defined certificant population, serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program.
"The public member’s role is to champion the public or consumer interest, bring new ideas and goals to the table, contribute an unbiased perspective, encourage consumer-oriented positions, and bring additional public accountability and responsiveness. The public member should have a track record of advocacy on behalf of the public interest, a basic understanding of certification and accreditation, and previous experience serving on the governing or advisory board of a business, religious or civic organization, or similar entity".
-Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, National Board of Certification and Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists
Public Member Definitions and Role Descriptions
Click on the arrow below to read the definition.
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a certificant population serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program, with all rights and privileges, including holding office and serving on committees. The public member should bring a perspective to the decision and policy making of the organization that is different from that of the certificants and should help to balance the organization’s role in protecting the public while advancing the interests of the profession.
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a credentialed population who serves as a voting member on the credentialing body with all rights and privileges, including holding office and serving on committees. The public member should bring a perspective to the decision and policy-making of the organization that is different from that of credentialed individuals and should help to balance the organization’s role in protecting the public while advancing the interests of the profession.
Connect your Public Member with the Community
I.C.E. Members can add their Public Member to your organizational profile so they can connect and access the following resources. For assistance adding a public member to your organization's profile, contact the firstname.lastname@example.org
I.C.E. Public Member Network Quarterly Meetings
The Public Member Committee hosts quarterly networking calls for public members and other interested parties.
Networking Calls are hosted on Zoom the second Tuesday of March, June, September, and December at 1:00 pm ET/10:00 am PT.
Topic: I.C.E. Exchange Recap
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET
Topic: Ben Shimberg Public Service Award Lecture with 2022 Award Recipient Tom Granatir
Ben Shimberg was an inspiration to a generation of consumer advocates because of his commitment to making credentialing and regulatory institutions accountable to the public. Ben believed appointing well-chosen public members, orienting them to their role, and supplying them with resources would serve that end. I.C.E. (then NOCA) gave Ben its Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000.
Ben was the first chair of the Citizen Advocacy Center’s Board of Directors until his death, when CAC established in his memory the Benjamin Shimberg Public Service Award to honor individuals whose careers and contributions exemplify the principles Ben stood for. It is no surprise that several I.C.E. leaders have received the award, including Denise Roosendaal in 2018.
Since 2004, CAC has presented the Shimberg Award at its annual meeting, an event CAC discontinued in 2020. Not wanting the award in Ben’s memory to fade away, I.C.E. welcomed the opportunity to present the Ben Shimberg award at its annual Exchange. Shimberg Award recipients deliver a brief lecture on the occasion. This will occur at the I.C.E. Public Member Network Zoom meeting on March 14, 2023. The event is open to all.
The 2022 Ben Shimberg Public Service Award recipient is Tom Granatir, VP for Policy and External Relations at the American Board of Medical Specialties. Responsible for policy, advocacy, and public affairs, Tom interacts with the full spectrum of the organization’s stakeholders, including consumer advocates and public members. Tom is honored with this award “For his career-long commitment to advancing public health, his appreciation for the importance of having the consumer’s voice at the table, and his encouragement of public members in governance and policy making.”
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET
The Public Member Network Calls are recorded. Access past calls to listen to discussions on Integrating Public Memembers in the Standard Setting Process, What Should Public Members Know about Recertification, and an Update on the PCC.
Access Archive of Network Calls
Save the Date for the 2023 I.C.E. Exchange, October 24-27 in Colorado Springs
Complimentary Registration Offer for Public Members
- Public members play a critical role on certification governing boards. If the President/CEO of a certification organization signs up for a full conference registration, I.C.E. will offer one (1) complimentary registration to the organization’s public member.
- Public members have several opportunities to gather as a group at the I.C.E. Exchange to share experiences and ideas, and to suggest topics they would like to see addressed at the next year’s Exchange.
Looking For a Public Member?
Post a job posting for a public member in the I.C.E. Career Center.
- Organizations seeking a Public Member can now post a job listing for a volunteer Public Member position within the Career Center.
- Individuals seeking a Public Member position are encouraged to upload their resume to the Career Center.
Join the Public Member Networking LinkedIn Group
- This LinkedIn group is designe dor Public Members to network, discuss related topics, and share resources.
- Both Organizations and Individuals are also encouraged to add a post to the Public Member LinkedIn page if you are looking for/seeking a public member/position.
Search our Public Member Directory .
Resources For and About Public Members
Click on the arrow below to see the resources.
I.C.E. Standards and Courses:
Articles and Interviews:
- I.C.E. Handbook Edition 2 - Chapter: Public Members. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn and Cynthia Miller Murphy
- 'How a Public Member Played a Critical Role in an Organization’s Risk Management'. By: Kevin R. Keller, CAE, and Denise Voigt Crawford, JD, CFP Board | '22
- Serving as a Psychometrician and Public Board Member: A Q&A With Brett Foley, PhD | '21
- Millennials Having Fun and Making a Difference as Public Members. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Jan '19
- Public Member Spotlight: Thomas Hartsell, Jr., Public Member on the board of the Art Therapy Credentials Board, Inc. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Nov '18
- Public Member Spotlight: Edward Susank, National Board of Certification & Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Sep '18
- ‘The Most Fulfilling Volunteer Role’: An Interview with Public Member Gloria Fabrey. By: I.C.E. Editor | Oct '18
- Message from the Chair: The Benefits of Public Members. By: Claudia Zacharias, MBA, CAE | Sep '16
- Tapping the Full Potential of Public Member: A Toolkit for Boards and Community Based Organizations. By: Citizen Advocacy Center | '09
- Regulatory Management of Chemically Dependent Healthcare Practitioners. A Forum Convened By: Citizen Advocacy Center | June '09
- Implementing Continuing Competency Requirements for Health Care Practitioners. :By Citizen Advocacy Center | '06
Webinars and Presentations:
Public Member Committee
The Public Member Committee of I.C.E. is designed to offer public members an opportunity to network and collaborate, and to develop and share resources that support public members’ role in credentialing organizations. The Committee meets monthly via Zoom and convenes quarterly Zoom meetings for the I.C.E. Public Member Network. The Committee also oversees the development of proposals for sessions at the ICE Exchange on topics of interest to public members and the entire I.C.E. community.
- Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, National Board of Certification and Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists
- Beverly Black, MHSA, CAE, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Devante Newsome, Membership & Operations Associate, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Nancy Ahluwalia, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Grady Barnhill, National Board on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Mark Bertler, CAE, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center
- Catherine Dower, JD, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Sally A. Irvin, JD, MEd, MA, Competency & Credentialing Institute
- Elsie Kelly, International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners
- Michael Niederpruem, PhD, CAE, American Health Information Management Association
- Karen Plaus, CAE, CRNA, FAAN, PhD, National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists
- Cheryl Scheck, PMP, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- David Swankin, JD, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Glenna Tinney, MSW, ACSW, DCSW, Captain, United States Navy (Ret.) National Board for Respiratory Care
- Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, Certification Board for Diabetes Care and Education
Search for Committees