What is a public member?
A representative of the consumers of services provided by a defined certificant population, serving as a voting member on the governing body of a certification program.
"The public member’s role is to champion the public or consumer interest, bring new ideas and goals to the table, contribute an unbiased perspective, encourage consumer-oriented positions, and bring additional public accountability and responsiveness. The public member should have a track record of advocacy on behalf of the public interest, a basic understanding of certification and accreditation, and previous experience serving on the governing or advisory board of a business, religious or civic organization, or similar entity". -Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
Public Member Networking
ICE Public Member Network
The public member working group hosts quarterly networking calls for public members.
Public members from several ICE member boards of directors have begun meeting periodically and want other ICE public members to know they are welcome to participate. We invite public members and other interested parties to join the first quarterly Public Member Network Zoom Meeting on October 9, 2020. The hour-long meeting begins at 3:00 pm ET / 12:00 noon PT.
For those interested in attending this call, please send an email with your name and organization to email@example.com. This is a complimentary, member-only benefit.
Join us from home for this year's ICE Virtual Exchange, November 9 - November 11, 2020!
Complimentary Registration Offer for Public Members
Public members (the consumers and end-users served by your profession) play a critical role in serving on certification governing boards. If the President/CEO of a certification organization signs up for a full-conference registration, ICE will offer one (1) complimentary registration to the organization’s public member.
“The ICE Exchange is a great opportunity for public members to sharpen their skills and network with certification colleagues,” -Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
“Our public members have found participation in the ICE Exchange to be a valuable experience for them because of the educational sessions and the opportunity to network with other public members.” -Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators
Network at the ICE Virtual Exchange
ICE's Public Member Working Group will host two meetings in connection with the ICE Virtual Exchange.
- Monday, November 9, 2020, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm ET: Kick off the virtual conference connecting with your fellow public members. Learn and connect with your peers and focus on the exact needs and questions of your organization.
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm ET: Connect back with your peers on to reflect on your learning and discuss ways to apply your ideas when you return.
Keep Your Public Member Connected
Public Members can receive member benefits. Check to see if your public member is connected to the credentialing community.
*For assistance adding a public member to your profile, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Member Resources
- NCCA Standards
- Understanding the Role and Richness of the Public Member
- Message from the Chair: The Benefits of Public Members. By: Claudia Zacharias, MBA, CAE | Sep '16
- Millennials Having Fun and Making a Difference as Public Members. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Jan '19
- Public Member Spotlight: Thomas Hartsell, Jr., Public Member on the board of the Art Therapy Credentials Board, Inc. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Nov '18
- ‘The Most Fulfilling Volunteer Role’: An Interview with Public Member Gloria Fabrey. By: ICE Editor | Oct '18
- Public Member Spotlight: Edward Susank, National Board of Certification & Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists. By: Rebecca (Becky) LeBuhn | Sep '18
Public Member Committee
Public Member Resource Development Working Group
To offer public members an opportunity to network and collaborate on needed resources to support their role in credentialing organizations.
- Rebecca LeBuhn, MA, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Mark Bertler, CAE, Hospice and Palliative Credentialing Center
- Beverly Black, MHSA, CAE, National Commission on Credentialing for Physician Assistants
- Catherine Dower, JD, Institute for Credentialing Excellence
- Zeno W. St. Cyr, II, MPH, National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Sally A. Irvin, JD, MEd, MA, Competency & Credentialing Institute
- Cheryl Scheck, PNP, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- David Swankin, JD, Citizens Advocacy Center
- Sheryl Traficano, MBA, CAE, National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators